A social network is a resource designed to ensure the relationship between people or organizations on the Internet.
History of the emergence of social networks
The principles of creating social networks were expounded back in 1950-1960 in the theoretical works of mathematicians. The term itself was introduced in 1954. For a long time, social networks existed only in theory, which was fully formed by the 1970s. In 1971, there was an e-mail technology in the network ARPA Net, used by the military. It became the first network in history with the use of computer technology. The first retransmitted Internet chat was created in 1988 and was called IRC. It is obvious that the peak of social networks development occurred during the time of widespread Internet distribution. Having passed the stage of diverse chats and services like the "Live Journal", society has come to create social networks in the form that is now. The most effective in this regard can be called 2003-2004, when many significant social resources appeared.
The first social networks
There are two versions in this regard. According to one, a full-fledged social and network resource in the sense that we are used to, it is worth considering Classmates. It was in the image of this American portal that "Classmates" were created. The project was launched by Randy Conrad in 1995. Classmates.com provided an opportunity to find classmates, fellow students and colleagues.
However, it is not worth considering this project as the first social network in the modern sense. The site initially did not give the opportunity to create a personal profile, but only opened access to the lists of those who studied at a certain educational institution.
According to another version, the first social network in the modern sense can be considered SixDegrees. It was created by Andrew Weinreich in 1997. The project initially allowed users to create personal profiles and lists of friends. In addition, a little later, in 1998, the team SixDegrees added a search on the pages, which made it possible to find old friends and start new ones more quickly and conveniently.
Alas, in 2001 the portal SixDegrees was closed. However, its creators had an opinion that this social network was far ahead of its time, because at that time very few Americans had more or less normal access to the Internet.
Classmates still exists. It brings together more than 50 million users from the US, Canada, Sweden, France, Germany and Austria.
Which of these projects can still be considered the first social network? Probably still Classmates.com, because it was not only founded earlier, but to this day continues to unite people.
Popular social networks in the world
- Facebook. A truly international platform, the number of its users exceeds 900,000,000. The year of foundation is 2004.
- Twitter. Societet, which allows you to share short messages (mostly news) and has more than 310 million users. She started working in 2006.
- LinkedIn. This network is positioned more as a professional and has more than 255 million users. Appeared in 2003.
- Google Plus +. This is a social network, supported by the same search engine and has an audience of more than 120,000,000 users. The beginning of work is 2011.
- Instagram. Social network, allowing you to share photos and videos. There are more than 100 000 000 users. Appeared in 2010.
What are the social networking features for users?Communication. Social networks are smart:
- To search for old friends or relatives with whom communication has long been interrupted;
- support of communication with existing friends, relatives or acquaintances;
- dating with new people for friendship, romantic relationships, etc.
- Convenience of social networks is that all contacts are collected in one place, you can learn about all friends in a short time, tell about yourself.
Creation of virtual representation. Social networks are used not only by individuals, but also by companies. Presence of own page allows to generate necessary image, to deliver goods / service in favorable light. On the other hand, if you do not follow the content that is published on the page, you can achieve the opposite effect (create an anti -image).
Exchange news.It's not just about new information about friends, but about news in their usual form. The events of recent years show that news in social networks spread very quickly and contribute to the formation of public opinion sometimes even more than traditional media.
Recreation. Modern social networks provide many opportunities for this. You can play, listen to music, watch movies, funny videos, etc. Some options are free, others have to pay.
Education. This can be either a purposeful study of certain courses or publications of a person, or an accidental one, such as reading articles published by your friends. Information depends on the range of interests of a particular group of people and can be culinary recipes, literature on the developmental psychology and much more.
Advertising in social networks
Almost from the moment of its appearance, social networks are actively used for advertising, and this market is constantly increasing. It can be used to solve specific problems:
- promotion of brand and increase of recognition;
- attraction of conversion traffic to the site;
- Addressing representatives of certain target groups for the transmission of a key brand message;
- increase the coverage of potential buyers by telling about different promotions.
Open. To this type are different formats, seeing which, the user of the social network immediately understands that before him advertising. Among them, targeted, advertising posts, etc .;
Hidden. Such advertising is also called native. It is practically indistinguishable from the usual content of users of social networks, it does not catch sight and does not cause irritation and rejection. For example, it can be a review article, a tip or post of non-advertizing nature, questionnaires, etc. This type of advertising is often used to attract referral traffic when one user comes to the service on the recommendation of another.